Monday, June 18, 2007

My Mazda RX-8 Goes Crash and then Smash

Argh!!!!

I know, it is enough to make you want to cry or make me cry at the very least. I was on my way to work Monday morning June 11th, 2007 and was not more than 2 miles from the entrance to my neighborhood on HWY 1431 going west when this idiot in a tan 2001 single cab F-150 Ford pickup truck plowed into the back right side of my car at what seemed like 60mph but was probably less while I was at a near stop, maybe still going 5 to 10mph.

Traffic had been forced to slow down as a Cedar Park police officer had a semi-truck pulled over on the right/north side of the highway. This little scene with the police and the semi was all playing out within less than a quarter mile ahead of my accident site. I do not remember having any advanced warning of what was to come. I heard no sound of screeching tires behind me or anything. The first indication I had that something was wrong came from a loud crunch, a head rattling jolt and the sight of my trusty red traveling coffee cup bursting from the grasp of my right hand. So, this idiot hit me in the back right bumper and the force of that impact seemed to accelerated me into the trailer hitch of a waiting SUV that was eager to greet and then eat the front end of my little red sports car. SIGH.... Let the sobbing begin!!

It's odd, I was in a car accident back in high school too, again this one was also not my fault. This accident reminded me of that weird sensation you get where everything seems to be happening in slow motion during the collision. I saw my coffee cup leave my right hand and my right hand grab the steering wheel almost instantly. At the same time my foot jammed down on the break immediately and I pulled the steering wheel right just to keep my car out of the left lane which according to the police report, I actually managed to accomplish. However the distance between my car and the SUV in front of me closed too quickly to prevent the second impact that resulted in the front end of my car being folded up like sardine can. While all this was happening I also remember seeing little rain droplets of coffee slowly flying into the air as the coffee cup must have hit the dash board or window causing the brown nectar of morning life to be ejected in randomly flying spurts from the open drinking slide set atop the travel cups lid. The only thing I don't remember is what happened to the piece of gum I had in my mouth at the time.

Both Lauren(6yr) and Michael(4yr), my two oldest of three children were also in the car with me as I was taking them to school at the time. The irreplaceables (my children) are fine they were just scared and shaken up a bit. Cars can be replaced, my kids cannot! After I got my kids out of the car my daughter later told my wife that I called the guy in the truck a "bitch" and cursed at him a few times. This is all very possible I don't remember that part. I just remember being worried about my kids and then so mad at this retard who had put my kids in danger that if he had come anywhere near me I am positive I would have literally dismembered him with my bare hands. He tried to apologize to me in the end when the officer was finishing up his report but I was still so mad it took every ounce of strength I had to not lay the guy out cold on the side of the road. So instead I simply refused to look or speak to him and ultimately I just walked off.

Oh well it's over now and like I said the car can be fix and or replaced. SIGH.... it's still annoying though.

I have held off on this post until I got a copy of the police report which I was finally able to access today and it seems that they cited the guy in the F-150 for "failure to control vehicle's speed." Yay! This should mean that he is not only an idiot but officially at fault for the accident. It should also mean I am not going to be out $500 for a repair deductible and his insurance will be reimbursing mine for the damage to the car. Again, YAY!!! :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian Dusablon said...

You're such a slacker. How's everyone doing?

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home